Problem: My door is blocking my view.
Solution: Buy a 450 dollar full view door, wrestle the 150lb thing home and attempt to install it.
- Chisel off the molding on the outside of door
- Pop out the piece of plywood
- Bring the piece of plywood to Home Depot, to the molding department, where they have a saw and miter box all set up and sell molding by the foot. Cut new molding to fit the piece of plywood.
- Along with the molding, buy: some glazier points, water cleanup clear outdoor sealant, and some little finish nails or brads.
- Bring piece of plywood to glass place and order a piece of tempered glass the same size as the piece of plywood. ( I asked for a little smaller, because the plywood was really tight.)
- When you get your glass home, apply a bead of sealant around opening.
- Press glass in opening
- Install glazier points with a putty knife
- Start the nails in the molding until the nail almost comes out the other side and then put on door and finish hammering.
- Clean up the excess sealant on the glass.
- Sit down and enjoy the view!
Difficulty level: Easy
Price: Under 50 dollars.
Web article that inspired me: How to put a window in a solid wood door